Beyond the Hill

A day in Syracuse: where to go and what to do this Family Weekend

Meghan Hendricks | Photo Editor

From sweet treats to a rich cultural scene, this itinerary has something for anyone’s loved ones to enjoy this weekend.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

Between the campus Family Weekend events, the city’s vast array of restaurants, seasonal festivals and the vibrant music scene of central New York, it’s impossible to see all of Syracuse in a single weekend. But through this Saturday itinerary, you can capture the essence of the city — all you’ll need is transportation, your loved ones and energy for a packed day.

10:00 a.m.
Syracuse is filled with eclectic restaurants and coffee shops — local favorites that have their own distinct character.

If your breakfast calls for caffeine, head to Recess Coffee in Westcott— the shop serves a variety of brews and specialty coffees, as well as smoothies, teas, shakes, sandwiches and baked goods. A closer option is Heritage Cafe, just a few blocks north of campus. The cafe offers classic coffee drinks like mochas and lattes, in addition to light breakfast and lunch dishes.

For those with a bit of a sweet tooth, check out Glazed & Confused, a shop that offers specialty donuts complete with funky menu names — Black Out and Nutty Buddy, to name a few. And if you’re looking for a larger meal to start your day, take a trip to Stella’s Diner, where the dishes range from classic to creative.

12:00 p.m.
Rich with creative culture, Syracuse is home to thousands of pieces of art, and embraces artists at all different stages of their careers.

The Everson Museum of Art, for example, is home to multiple shows of paintings, sculptures, installations and ceramics. The museum is currently displaying “Structure/Dissonance,” an exhibition by multidisciplinary artist Raymon Elouza, which deals with the ideas of decay and regeneration of industrial cities. Another exhibit, “Scenes of Syracuse” by painter Dan Shanahan, takes an intimate look into the moments of serenity in an otherwise busy city.

If you’re looking to stay closer to campus, the Syracuse University Art Museum also hosts an array of creative works, including “Anni Albers: Work with Materials,” which follows the development of the artist’s decades-long career in printmaking, textiles and drawings.

For those looking to take a bit of central New York home with them, the CNY Art Guild is hosting its Fall Fine Art Show and Sale, where there will be stained glass, acrylic paintings, ceramics, photography and watercolor pieces for purchase.

artboard-6

Santiago Noblin | Design Editor

4:00 p.m.
With the leaves turning vibrant colors this weekend, embrace autumn with a local fall festival! Located about twenty minutes away from campus, just outside of Baldwinsville, Abbott Farms will host Fall Fest, a weekend celebration of the season. Pick your own apples, take a wagon ride, meander through a corn maze, meet the farm animals, or give the apple slingshot a try. And for when that midday hunger hits, Abbott Farms has an on-site bakery and their Home Cookin’ Grill.

8:00 p.m.
Unwind from the day and appreciate SU performing arts at the opening night of Sweet Charity. The play follows the romantic, optimistic Charity Hope Valentine as she navigates the “big, bad city.” The show will be at Syracuse Stage, a few blocks north of campus.

If theater isn’t your forte, or if you have children coming to visit, head to Huntington Beard Crouse Hall on the quad to watch Minions: The Rise of Gru, hosted by Orange After Dark and University Union. The film, which is free to attend, follows Gru in his childhood, and his Minions, as he discovers the meaning of friendship.

10:30 p.m.
Round out your night with a late night snack! Go out or order in from Funk N Waffles, a Syracuse favorite. Between the quirky shop’s vast selection of sweet and savory waffles, chicken and sandwiches, there’s something for everyone to enjoy after a long day.

If you worked up a big appetite during the day, take a trip to Kitty Hoynes Irish Pub, where they serve anything from veggie burgers to flat iron steaks to pasta dishes. For those over 21 in your group, the pub also offers an array of beers, wines and cocktails, some of which are sourced locally.