Former Ohio State guard Kiara Lewis to transfer to Syracuse

Former Ohio State guard Kiara Lewis will transfer to Syracuse and have three years of eligibility remaining starting in the fall of 2018.

Lewis, the No. 22 recruit in the Class of 2016, per ESPN, visited SU the weekend of May 5. She is the former club basketball teammate of Syracuse’s Gabby Cooper.

“I felt that KiKi was the best point guard in her graduating class out of high school,” SU head coach Quentin Hillsman said in a press release. “She is an explosive lead guard with the ability to change the game with her speed, quickness, and athleticism. She is a natural scorer with the ability to distribute the ball at a high level. She will add depth to an already deep recruiting class and provide big-game experience coming from a Power-Five conference.”

In her lone season with the Buckeyes, Lewis averaged 6.7 points and 1.8 assists over 19.4 minutes per game. She also finished third on the team in steals (40).

Ohio State finished last season 28-7, falling to Notre Dame in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament. Syracuse played OSU on Nov. 26 and lost 77-72. Lewis finished the game with five points and three assists.

Lewis, a five-star recruit coming out of high school, was the 2015-16 Illinois Gatorade High School Player of the Year. That season she boasted a stat line of 24.4 points, seven rebounds, 5.3 assists and 3.2 steals per game.